Studio availability | Sponsors and awards announced for upcoming annual exhibition
Studio Availability 7-13 August
Play with Clay is on tomorrow (Saturday 7 August)
- Open Studio and Play with Clay next week:
Open Studio: Monday 10am-4pm, Tuesday 1-4pm, Wednesday 1-4pm
Play With Clay: Tuesday 6-9pm, Wednesday 9.30am-12.30pm
WSP 50th Annual Exhibition
15 October - 22 November 2021 (Opening preview on 14 October)
Entries close 4pm on 6th October 2021 (updated since previous notice)
Please start making for our upcoming annual exhibition. This is our 50th so we want it to be special. Don't be daunted by ideas of experience needed, we want to celebrate the breadth of our members' work and so have made sure that both experienced and emerging artists are acknowledged in the awards.
What's different this year?
Judge: John Parker
New categories and amazing sponsored prizes! Entries should be submitted under one of two separate categories:
1. Emerging Artists (with less than 5 years of pottery experience),
- WSP Premier Emerging Artist Award $500
- Primo Award - Primo voucher for clay to the value of $375
- Abbots Glazing Award - Abbotts glaze voucher to the value of $150
- President’s Award: $100
2. Open Awards (open to all)
- WSP Premier Award: $500
- People's Choice Award: $150 sponsored by Catherine Vowles (announced at the close of the exhibition)
- Tile Challenge Award: $150 sponsored by Yasmin and Mark Davis
- Best Mug Competition (must be functional and with handle, top 6 will be exhibited only): $50 sponsored by Jenni Taris
- PotteryHamilton Pottery Tools Award: $50
- Macs Mud Clay Awards: Awarded to pieces made using Macs Mud Clays - Top prize 80kg Macs Mud Clays; 2 prizes 60kg Macs Mud Clays
We invite members to start working on their entries now for delivery by 13th October.
Thank you to Creative Communities Scheme funding (administered by) Creative Waikato for assisting with the running costs of the event and make it possible for our members to exhibit without a fee.
Entry forms will be available soon.
Conditions of entry
This exhibition is open to all financial members of the Waikato Society of Potters. If you are not a member and would like to join, please visit our website at www.waikatopotters.co.nz A maximum of two entries may be submitted, one of which may be a set of up to 6 pieces.
Delivery: Please deliver work to the Waikato Society of Potters studios on Norris Ward Park, 2 Seddon Road, Hamilton, between 10 am and 4 pm from 11 - 12 October 2021 or directly to ArtsPost on 13 October 10am-12pm. All unsold work can be collected from ArtsPost on 22 November or from Waikato Society of Potters after 23 November. Any unsold items are to be collected promptly from Waikato Society of Potters before the studio closes for the Christmas break.
Selection Process: The selection process will be done by two members of the WSP Committee. The selectors’ decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. The Awards, as shown above will be given at the Judge’s discretion. The exception are the People's Choice Award, which will be voted on by visitors throughout the exhibition and announced after the exhibition closes; and the Mug award to be judged by Jenni Taris.
Originality: All work must have been created in the last 12 months and be the sole work of the member, unless it is a joint work between two or more financial members, each of whom must be listed on the entry form. The work must be wholly original and not a copy of, or otherwise directly derived from, material seen elsewhere. Submissions previously exhibited at ArtsPost are not eligible for this exhibition.