Membership renewal | Annual Exhibition - accepting entries | Changes to Play with Clay | Studio tools | Changes to COVID-19 restrictions | Workshops | Term 2 classes
How quickly a year comes around. Memberships are due for renewal from 1 April onwards. We hope you plan to renew your studio membership. As a charity, our continued operations and keeping the studio doors open is very reliant upon memberships as well as the help we get from volunteers. As in previous years, membership is based on 6 month or 12 month periods in our financial year.
To renew your membership, you can pop into the studio and pay with Eftpos, or sign up online.
Annual Exhibition - call for entries
Venue: ArtsPost Hamilton
27 May - 27 June 2022 (Opening preview evening 26 May)
The 50th Annual Exhibition of the Waikato Society of Potters was postponed in October 2021 due to COVID-19 restrictions and delays. We will now be holding the exhibition in 2022.
We want it to be special. Not only is it a milestone exhibition, these last few years have also been a very challenging time for everyone. So, we want to celebrate all our members, at all experience levels! Please consider submitting some work for our upcoming annual exhibition. There are many awesome awards, but it's more about celebrating you all than winning!
All the information about the awards, conditions of entry and the entry forms can be found on the exhibition page of our website.
Funded Children's Classes
In 2021, we applied for funding to run some free classes for children who attend schools where pottery is not taught. We are beyond grateful to Hamilton Creative Communities Scheme who granted the funding for this to go ahead. The project was placed on hold because of COVID-19. Now that we will in a position to welcome children back into the studio, we are inviting the parents of eligible children to get in touch to enquire about a place.
- Aged 6-12 years who
- Attend a school where clay/pottery is not taught, or
- Have not been able to access our pottery classes due to the cost.
- Are available to attend at least 7 of 8 of the classes unless due to unforseen circumstances
Classes will run in Term 2
- Tuesdays 4-5.30pm for 8 weeks beginning 10 May or
- Wednesdays 4-5.30pm for 8 weeks beginning 11 May
If your child is eligible and would like to join a class, please contact Sarah firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 07 838 1950. laces will be allocated on a first come basis.
Play With Clay
We have a few changes ahead for our Play With Clay sessions.
- We are now inviting non-members to join our Play With Clay sessions again on Wednesday mornings, Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings. We are still asking people to book in advance if you are using the main studio as we have to maintain 1m distancing where possible. To avoid disappointment, please continue to book using the online system on EventsPronto.
- Vaccine Passes are still in place at present but, in line with government advice, you will no longer need to have one after 4 April. This will also mean that children who are accompanied by an adult will also be able to return to the studio. Please still wear a mask and stay home if you are unwell.
- Prices for PWC and Open Studio will increase after 1 April. Since its inception, there has not been a cost increase for Play With Clay, yet the cost of utilities, rent and general overheads have continued to rise each year. COVID-19 has brought a loss of income since August last year resulting in running costs exceeding income for a large proportion of that time. This leaves us with no choice but to raise some fees if we are to regain financial stability. From 1 April, PWC sessions will cost $10 for members ($8 with concession cards) or $14 for non-members.
We are a little low on tools. We invested in a lot of tools last year, particularly trimming tools for classes. We have noticed that these have depleted dramatically, particularly the wheel throwing class sets. It would be very much appreciated if you could have a quick look in your tool kits to see if you might have packed away some WSP tools by accident. It's really expensive to keep up with replacements. They will have a pink dot on them, or else the letters "WSP". Thanks.
Workshops - Classes - Events
We have been busy organising workshops and we aren't done yet. Coming up this weekend is Yasmin's Glazing 101 workshop. It is sold out but we will arrange more soon.
Javier Murcia is returning to the studio in April for two special workshops: a very special mold-making workshop, and a head studies sculpture workshop. Those who attended his figure sculpture workshop last year raved about it and couldn't recommend his teaching enough.
COVID-19 Restriction Changes
You have probably heard the news: the government have announced that COVID-19 restrictions are about to change.
From 4th April onwards, you will no longer be required to have a vaccine pass to enter the studio. Many of you have been dropping off and collecting your firing at the door and we have been managing the odd chat, but it will be lovely to see you in the building. This also means children (accompanied by adults) will also be able to return at that time.
Mask-wearing will still be in place, we will still be maintaining 1m distancing rules and we will still all be staying home if we are feeling under the weather as no one wants to get sick, whether that be a cold or COVID-19. While it isn't a full return to pre-COVID studio time, it is change and small steps...
We appreciate your continued support and kindness through what is a difficult time for everyone.