The week ahead | Electrical work | Upcoming workshops | WSP Members Facebook Group | Last chance to book for Term 4 classes | Other business
The week ahead
Monday: Closed until 1pm; Open Studio 1-4pm
Tuesday: Open Studio 10am-4pm; PWC 6-9pm
Wednesday: PWC 9.30am-12.30pm; Open Studio 1-4pm
Thursday: Open Studio 10am-4pm
Friday: Diploma only day
Saturday: PWC 10am-1pm; Glazing 101 workshop 2-5pm (sold out)
We started the week with a closed studio. All going well, we will open this afternoon for Open Studio time. This morning, our electrician is here installing an additional two double power points in the corner of the studio with the wax and drying cupboard. This has long been an area carrying out a lot of electrical work with a family of multipoint extensions on the go and lately there have been a lot of issues with sparking and overloading. We hope this work will improve safety and run more smoothly.
- Our first Christmas themed workshop is organised. Yasmin will run a Christmas decorations workshop on 11th December. They are great for last minute gift or simply to add that something special to your festive decor.
- There are a couple of spaces on the upcoming Nerikomi workshop with Alex on 29th and 30th October.
More workshop announcements to come in the next couple of weeks.
WSP Members Facebook Group
We have created a private Facebook group for our WSP members to come together as a community. It came about when Sarah Corban hired a kiln she couldn't quite fill so wanted someone to share the space and cost with. Sarah suggested a group could be a good idea, and would lessen the load of finding someone as she would be able to put the question out to the membership directly.
The group will have a few admins and we are seeking member support for this. Sarah Corban has volunteered and we would love another person to help her. The workload should be minimal as the team at WSP still need to vet applicants for membership status prior to approval to join being granted. Please let firstname.lastname@example.org know if you would like to help.
We hope the group will be a place for WSP members of all experience levels to
- chat about ceramics, including pottery techniques, problems, professional practice & development.
- to buy/sell/trade 2nd hand equipment and materials within reason -ie., without becoming a retail platform. Very technical advice is still probably best sought on the New Zealand Studio Pottery - Technical group,
- to generally get to know one another better as a community
- occasionally find member-specific information that our non-member visitors don't need, or to receive early notice of classes, workshops and events.
This is not a place to pose questions to the WSP team. Please continue to use email or phone as the primary means to communicate with the studio and office as we will not be monitoring this group on a daily basis. If your membership is up-to-date and you want to join this little online community, go to https://www.facebook.com/group... real the rules and request to join.
Term 4 Classes begin next week
It's hard to believe it is so late in the year and that our last term of classes for 2022 are starting soon. Next Monday is a holiday for the Labour Day weekend, so Monday morning and evening classes will be delayed until the 31 October. Monday aside, classes commence on Tuesday 25th October. We still have some spaces left on the following classes so please book in soon if you would like to secure a space:
Other studio business
We are getting an increasing amount of work in without marks underneath. We need to be able to identify makers and the best way to do this is by using your unique stamp/initial/other identifiable mark. It also helps to avoid your work being mistaken for another's as sometimes happens. We are working towards having everyone firing in the kilns using marks. If you can add your mark to the book by the front door sign-in sheet, it would be much appreciated.
Last chance pieces
Last chance trolley is full - please pop in soon to collect old bisqueware fired in June-August that has not yet been thrown.