2023 Exhibition | Schedule changes | Clay bags wanted | Upcoming workshops | Important dates
- Phoenix Wood Fired Kiln - After much time out of action, the Phoenix is almost ready to be lit. Thanks to the hard work of Duncan, Janet, Ginny and Yasmin who spent the day repairing the fire box yesterday. We just need to leave a little drying time, and Duncan has to return for some finishing touches, and then we hope to arrange a wood firing before the year is over.
- The broken towel rain in the studio has been replaced.
- For safety reasons, please use the timer switch to work the wax pan. Last weekend, the timer was unplugged and the pan connected directly to the socket. This is a fire hazard as forgetting to turn it off would result in the wax overheating. If you are unsure of how to use the timer switch, refer to the instructions in last week's newhttps://www.waikatopotters.co.nz/blog/post/93765/potters-press-7-november-2022/s post or ask a staff member or volunteer.
- The bisque shelves are still very full. Please pop in as soon as you can to collect your work.
- Relatedly, we will be cleaning the studio thoroughly over the holidays. If you have any work, clay, exhibition pieces or belongings, please ensure they are removed by 23 December as anything left after that time will be removed to make way for cleaning.
2023 WSP Annual Exhibition dates
Just confirmed this week! The dates for the 2023 Annual Exhibition of the Waikato Society of Potters will be 17 August to 24 September. We will let you know early in 2023 about the details but, in the meantime, mark it in your diaries and start thinking about your submissions.
Studio schedule changes this week
There will be no Open Studio on Thursdays 17th and 24th as we have a workshop running for a community group. Drop-offs for firing or picking up fired work will be fine, and you can also come in to use the glazing facilities. There just won't be access to the main studio.
Clay bags wanted
If you don't recycle your clay bags, we would be very grateful for them for our clay recycling activities. Regular plastic bags are not so useful for this but the clay bags are ideal.
We have a few workshops lined up for the upcoming festivities. Decorate your home with handmade Christmas decorations, paint a mug for someone special or a take away cup for you,
Sunday 20 November 2-4pm - Paint a Mug (suitable for all ages and experience levels). We'll give you a handmade (at Mystery Creek Ceramics) mug to paint and then we will glaze fire it. A wonderful parent and child event, or have fun while ticking a gift off your list. Book...
Saturday 3 December 2-4pm - Paint a Mug (suitable for all ages and experience levels). We'll give you a handmade (at Mystery Creek Ceramics) mug to paint and then we will glaze fire it. A wonderful parent and child event, or have fun while ticking a gift off your list. Book...
Saturday 10 December2-4pm - Glazing with a Spray Gun step up your glazing skills by learning a new technique. Book...
Sunday 11 December 2-4pm - Ceramic Christmas Decorations Book...
Important dates for December-January
- 3 December - last drop off for pre-holiday bisque firing
- 10 December - last drop off for pre-holiday glaze firing
- 20 December 5.30pm - Christmas Party
bring a (preferably handmade) gift for the Secret Santa swap game
- 23 December - Studio closes for the holidays - last day to collect things from studio
- 16 January - Studio opens
- mid-February - Term 1 Classes begin. Expected 13 Feb but TBC